Yes, another gem from the California farmer. The angelcot is sweetness wrapped in a smooth velvet skin. A hybrid of a Moroccan and Iranian fruit, the angelcot is a summer white apricot. Top angelcots over layers of phyllo and accompany them with pistachios, and you have Angelcot and Pistachio Pastries. The angelcots play a lead role in these pastries as the intense apricot flavor sweetens this treat. Crisp edges of baked phyllo, smooth slices of angelcot, and a crunch of pistachios; the combination of flavors and textures makes Angelcot and Pistachio Pastries a delight. Serve them hot and fresh from the oven after a long summer day.
Angelcot and Pistachio Pastries
Phyllo cut in Quarters [left] and Phyllo cut into 8 rectangles [right]
Fresh Angelcot Slices [left] and Slices on Phyllo [right]
|Angelcot and Pistachio Pastries|
Author: 15 mins Cook time: 15 mins Total time: 30 mins Serves: 4Prep time:
- 2 phyllo dough sheets, covered in a plastic wrap
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 5 ripe angelcots, halved lengthwise, pitted, sliced 1/4” thick, and halved lengthwise again
- 4 tsp light brown sugar, divided in 1/2 tsp
- 4 tsp unsalted pistachios, toasted and finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Carefully remove one sheet of phyllo from under the wrap and transfer to a clean work surface. With a spoon, drizzle half of the melted butter on the first sheet, then with the back of the spoon spread the melted butter across the sheet (if you have a brush, the melted butter can also be brushed onto the sheet.) Carefully lay the second sheet of dough on top of the first sheet. Repeat the drizzle and spread technique with the remaining butter on top of the second sheet.
- To make 8 rectangles, first cut the phyllo in half lengthwise. Cut the phyllo again to quarter, then cut each quarter one last time.
- Place 4 rectangles on the lined baking sheet, then place the remaining 4 rectangles on top of each to make four 4-layered pastries. Arrange 6-8 angelcot slices in the middle of the top of each pastry, leaving at least 1/4″ border of phyllo exposed on each edge. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of sugar over each pastry. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and sprinkle an additional 1/2 tsp of sugar onto each pastry. Sprinkle 1 tsp of pistachios onto each top. Rotate the baking sheet and return it to the oven. Bake for 5-7 minutes more until the sugar has melted and is bubbly.
Email This Recipe